Wednesday, March 2, 2011

2010-2011 WCC Crew Intro! (better late than never)

Our term started at the beginning of October, 2010.  We have spent the past 5 months planting thousands of trees, treating acres of invasives, and helping with several other fun projects such as fyke netting, derelict fence removal, salmon surveys, volunteer tree plantings, the Jefferson Conservation District plant sale, and helping out with the WDFW fish trap.

In case you haven't met them yet, here are the WCC crew members bringing Awesome to the East Jefferson County community.

Hello, my name is Owen French, WCC Crew Supervisor for the Port Hadlock Crew; some of you may know me from my stint as Restoration Coordinator for NOSC. I hold Bachelor’s degrees in both Communication and Natural Resource Management. I have done natural resource management work for many non-profit and government entities over the past 13 years in Oregon, Washington and Vermont. I am very pleased to be supervising a crew doing salmon habitat restoration projects for NOSC and its partners across the North Olympic Peninsula, and am excited for the coming year of service.
 
 My name is James House, and I am assistant supervisor to the crew. I was born in California, moved up to Port Townsend, Washington when I was five years old, and have happily lived here ever since. I joined the Washington Conservation Corps largely out of a desire to serve and give back to the community I've lived in for over twenty years. I've gained great satisfaction out of the work I've done so far, and feel what I’ve accomplished so far in my second year of working for the WCC has been an outstanding supplement to my pursuit of a degree in natural sciences.
 My name is AJ Garcia and I am from Tacoma, WA. I joined the WCC because I was looking for a job that would be fun and meaningful and could put me on a path to a career I would truly enjoy. I have always loved nature and working with the WCC, this term being my second service year, lets me give back and help restore our area to its natural salmon bearing state.
 My name is Christopher Viciana. I'm 22 and I'm originally from NJ. I left NJ when I was 16 and traveled around the country for a few years. I joined the WCC crew for a few reasons, one being that I enjoy working outside and the work, though hard at times, is fulfilling. Some other reasons I joined the crew are to help me accomplish some of the goals I have in life such as going to college and some newfound goals like becoming a wildland firefighter or possibly a wilderness EMT. 




 
My name is Aurora Blevins. I am 19-years-old and was born and raised in Shelton, Wa. I’ve known for some time that I was looking for a career in the conservation of our natural habitat. Washington Conservation Corps offered exactly what I was looking for in a job. It presents me with the opportunity to make a lasting change and continue my education, both during and after my service year.





 
Hey! My name is Katie Moyer and I am from Mount Vernon, Washington. After graduating from Whitman College in 2009 with a B.A. in Biology and Music, I worked an AmeriCorps job with an RFEG in an outreach capacity. I had a great time learning and teaching about salmon and decided it would be a lot of fun to get more involved with the restoration aspect of wild salmon recovery. The NOSC crew sounded like a great way to get experience restoring salmon habitat, meet new people, and explore the Olympic Peninsula.

No comments:

Post a Comment