Thursday, May 23, 2013

March Elective Training


Elective training, perhaps every corps members favorite week of the year! The entire WCC meets up at Fort Worden here in Port Townsend for a week of good times and learning. Mitch took Wilderness First Responder, Zach - Wetlands, Evan - Wilderness survival, Rick and Colin both took the wildlands firefighting course. All of us had a great time learning skill that will be beneficial to our future careers. I can only tell you guys about my training, WFR, but maybe we will get the other guys to talk about theirs in another post.
During WFR training we participated in some intense first aid situations. We learned the basics of splinting, wound management and general first aid. I had a great time! The week culminated in a 1 hour mass casualty incident scenario. As my group walked up to our patient we could tell she had a broken leg, but once we got close enough we saw that she also had an arterial bleed (with gushing blood and everything!)! Even though everything was fake, it was hard to not get caught up in the moment and get tunnel vision and feel the adrenalin pumping. We got so sidetracked that one of our patients walked off and we had some trouble finding him, Oops. Because the WFR certification is an 80 hour cert. I will going back in June to finish it up. I'm looking forward to the next training!
a femur traction splint I made

the highlight of training was the mustache I shaved into Cody's head!

Evan starting a fire in his wilderness survival course

No comments:

Post a Comment