Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The 2014-2015 North Olympic Salmon Coaltion WCC Crew


We have 5 new faces out there taking care of business along our creeks, rivers, bays, and estuaries. A new crew began their service year in October.  Five new folks have joined our restoration community and are serving a year as AmeriCorps members through the Washington Conservation Corps.  The Salmon Coalition contracts out the crew each year and utilizes the crew to get a great deal of work done for them and their partners. The crew has already accomplished a great deal of work.  So far we have; done butterfly bush control, removed blackberries, planted trees and shrubs, helped with a fish ladder, hauled a good deal of garbage off of natural areas, installed a beaver dam flow though device and more.  The crew has worked in watersheds from Duckabush to the Dungeness.  If you see these folks out and about shake their hand.  Without further delay, here are the folks that make up the crew.

The 2014-2015 NOSC/Port Hadlock WCC crew members:
 
Sam Langley
 

 You never know where you might find a Samus Langleyus.  Conifer forests, swamps, or even high up in the Olympic mountains are all good places to search for one.As global warming progresses Samus Langleyus has moved from Olympic College onto salmon restoration.
 
 
 
Kirsten Woodsmith
    Hello, I am Kirsten Woodsmith!  I come from the land of Arcata, California where I crawl around in the woods looking for edible fungi, then drink beer. I like to hang with my dog.This year I am planting trees on land but afterwards I hope to spend more time in the marine environment, hopefully studying octopi. I like my sandwiches with crunchy lettuce and salami.I am also fueled by my mom's delicious cheesecake and one of my favorite days on the job so far was when I celebrated my birthday and shared my cheesecake with the whole crew. I live on Chimacum Creek in a shack/cabin/trailer.
 
 
Sofie Brunner
My name is Sofie.  This is my 1st year in the WCC, but I plan to do a 2nd year.  I'm best known on my crew for over using the acronym OMG.  In my free time, I spend most of my time with my family and friends.  I love to play music, go hiking, kyaking, biking, and camping.  My crew and supervisor are awesome, and I look forward to the rest of the year.
 
 
 
Stephen Richardson
The known universe owes its eternal gratitude to me, for I have saved it on a multitude of occasions. Superheroes, Gods, heroes etc. have all been modeled after my unearthly visage. In the sparse free time I have from maintaining the cosmos I enjoy the wilderness of earth, the company of various species such as humans, as well as a canine and feline known as Kiba and Sassy respectively. I have also had the chance to attend and observe the human educational techniques at Central Washington University. I have dubbed this planets beauty worth saving and am willing to commit my powers to WCC.
P.S. i have a particular fondness of the National Football League and have noticed these Pittsburgh Steelers are an elite group, very interesting humans.

 

Emily Barry
 Hello world, my name is Emily Barry.  I was born and raised in Arlington, WA.  Then moved to Bellingham to study environmental science @ Huxley College.  Since graduating I have dabbled in various fields in different parts of the country.  I am thrilled to be spending a year in the PNW making life easier for those salmonids. I am looking forward to gaining many useful skills, getting muddy, making new friends, and growing trees.  When i am not at work you can find me riding my bike with my helmet on, hiking in the woods, or enjoying some fine Port Townsend Culture.
 
 
Owen French
 
Hi I am Owen this is the 9th WCC crew I have supervised.  I have held several job titles in the the natural resource field and worked for many entities over the years.  I studied communication and natural resource management.  I enjoy working with other people to improve the quality and function of our watersheds and riparian areas.  I love to fish, hunt, play music, and spend time with my family. 
 
Here are a few pics of the crew in action:
rolling fence to create beaver dam flow through 
 
Installing flow through device

 

 
Helping Cheri Scalf pass Chum through the adult spawner trap

 
Taking on the Fat Smitty Burger
 Stay tuned for more fun pictures and stories from the field as we push on into an exciting service year.

No comments:

Post a Comment